New Leaf Community Markets’ Statement and Policy on Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)
New Leaf Community Markets has long been passionate about wholesome foods, building long-standing relationships with our local farmers and proudly supporting healthy causes.
Over the past several years, Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) have become more prominent in our food supply, threatening the quality of food we offer our customers, as well as their health.
New Leaf Community Markets’ founder and co-owner Scott Roseman stated, “We have been working at the forefront of the GMO labeling movement for many years to support consumers’ right to know what is in their food. We know that our community wants their food labeled. Now is the time for New Leaf and other leading grocery markets to take a stand and help make GMO labeling a standard for people locally and across America.”
New Leaf has been collaborating
with suppliers for several years to source products without
genetically-modified ingredients. Over the last few years, the store has been
gradually eliminating products that may contain GMOs and is avoiding adding any
new products that may be at risk for being genetically engineered when
an alternative option is available
While the product selection provided at New Leaf Community Markets is not 100% free of GMOs, we are taking the following steps to minimize GMOs in our store:
• All products on our shelves that are genetically engineered, also called genetically-modified organisms (GMOs), must be labeled as such by 2018. The 2018 deadline gives manufacturers time to update their packaging, as well as research and source alternative ingredients if desired.
• We source as many organic and Non-GMO certified products as possible. There are already nearly 3,000 products on New Leaf shelves that have a blue “Non-GMO Project Verified” shelf tag. A large number of the store’s value line, Cadia, is also labeled as non-GMO. Certified Organic products cannot intentionally include any GMO ingredients.
• We only offer Non-GMO fresh produce in our produce department.
• Our meat department
offers organic chicken, organic sausages and organic grass-fed beef options. Our
dairy includes organic milk, yogurt and cheese.Certified
Organic farms cannot use GMO feed or inject the animals with rBST hormones.
• Our juice bars, salad bars and delis use organic produce whenever possible.
• Our New Leaf’s Own
deli items use imported Italian olive oil (never GMO) instead of canola oil (a
• As we look to place
new products on our shelves, we give preference to products that are verified
non-GMO by the Non-GMO Project.
• We strongly
encourage manufacturers of products making Non-GMO claims, to have their
products verified by the Non-GMO Project.
• We Strongly encourage manufactures of non-organic products already on the shelves, containing ingredients at risk to GMOs, to switch to either organic or non-GMO verified ingredients.
To learn more about Understanding GMOs click HERE
|Printable Version||E-mail a Friend|